As summer comes to an end, don’t think that means the fun has to end. Autumn is the perfect time to have fun with the whole family, whether you stay close to home or travel far. With the temperatures dropping, why not start creating your autumn bucket list?
There’s a lot of pressure to splurge when it comes to activities. From expensive nights on the town to costly day-trips, this isn’t the only way to have fun as the seasons change. In this guide, we’ll share the best low-cost activities to kickstart autumn.
Explore Your Own City
One of the best ways to have fun during autumn is to take some time to explore your own city. Unlike when you visit other cities across the country (or world), there’s no expensive travel costs, airfare, or overnight hotel stays. That means you can focus on the fun without worrying about the price tag!
These are our favourite ways to explore your own city for free or at a small cost. The more creative you can be with your itinerary, the better. It’s all about becoming a tourist in your own town.
- Ask friends for a recommendation: Ask your friends or family for some of their favourite places and add them to a list. Try to do everything in a single weekend!
- Eat somewhere new: Is there a restaurant you’ve never tried? This is an inexpensive way to try something new.
- Look at travel guides: Check out the blogs and travel guides to see what the “pros” recommend tourists experience in your own city. Most likely, you haven’t done them all!
- Experience local events: Are there any local events happening in town? From sporting events to community plays, these are a great way to explore the culture of your hometown.
- Explore museums: Local museums can be educational and exciting, and they’re not likely something you visit often. Many also have their own low-cost or free days for residents.
- Write a city guide: Lastly, write your own city guide for social media or just for your friends and family. Visit all of the spots, take photos, and get lost in your local travels.
Next, the perfect way to experience autumn is to go outside. Experiencing nature is a rewarding, low-cost (or free) way to have fun. Even if you spent your whole summer outside, it’s exciting to experience the changing seasons and dropping temperatures outdoors in person.
How can you experience nature without going far? Try these simple ideas.
- Go on a nature walk: Explore your neighbourhood by taking a nature walk around your community. Take in the changing seasons for yourself.
- Visit a nearby beach, lake, or mountain: In Australia, most people aren’t too far from a local beach, lake, or mountain. Find your nearest natural attraction, pack a lunch, and make a day trip out of it.
- Have a picnic: The weather in autumn is perfect, so this is the best time to enjoy a picnic. It’s not too hot, and it’s not too cold, so pack your favourite snacks and have an outdoor feast.
- Explore a farm or orchard: Get into the autumn spirit by exploring a local farm or orchard. Most of these are free to enter, and you can pick up fresh produce, cider, and farm favourites—yum!
Stay Close to Home
Lastly, if you’d rather stay close to home this fall, there are a lot of great ways to celebrate the change of seasons. These autumn activities below are perfect for your at-home bucket list of fun for the whole family.
- Camp in the backyard: If you have a backyard, put it to good use by camping out overnight. The changing temperature makes this the best time of year to camp!
- Make a home theatre: Speaking of backyards, why not enjoy an autumn movie in your garden? All you need is a projector and a sheet to make a DIY home theatre.
- Collect autumn leaves: For something the whole family enjoys, collect your favourite autumn leaves close to home. You can make crafts, paint with them, or just take photos of your favourites.
- Make autumn treats: Lastly, whip up some autumn-inspired treats in the kitchen.
Enjoy Autumn on a Budget
Who said you had to spend big to have fun this autumn? With a bit of creativity and excitement, you can turn everyday activities into something special and memorable for the whole family. Whether you’re looking for a way to explore your own city or have fun with your kids in your own garden, these ideas above are perfect.
Autumn is also the perfect time of year to check in with your budget. No matter your long-term savings goals, it’s a good idea to make sure you’re on track with your budgeting and debt payoff plan. Need help? The Debt Busters team is always here for you. Contact us today on 1300 368 322 to get started on your journey to financial freedom.